Hi, lovelies. I thought of you over the weekend while I made a Tuscan Kale and Butternut Squash Soup. After one taste, I knew the savory and scrumptious recipe was a must-share. A perfect holiday soup, it can be made in 40 minutes and refrigerated for up to three days. Easy!
|Image Credit: David Malosh
1. 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2. 1 large onion, finely chopped
3. One 2-pound butternut squash, neck only, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (2 1/2 cups)
4. 2 garlic cloves, minced
5. 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
6. 1 pound Tuscan kale, stemmed and leaves coarsely chopped
8. Salt and freshly ground pepper
9. 1/2 cup ditalini or tubettini pasta
10. 1 cup drained canned navy beans
11. Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and garlic toasts, for serving
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the onion, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, 4 minutes. Add the squash, cover and cook, stirring, until lightly browned in spots but not tender, 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and rosemary and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the kale and cook, stirring, until wilted, 5 minutes. Add the stock, cover and simmer until the kale and squash are just tender, 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta.
- Add the pasta and navy beans to the soup and simmer until the soup is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Ladle the soup into deep bowls and garnish with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Serve with garlic toasts.