This chocolate bun dessert takes a swift 30 minutes to bake. Get a little sticky and sweet this week…
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- 3 tsp dried yeast
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- Combine the milk, yeast and caster sugar in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes until frothy.
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center. Pour the milk mixture and egg into the well; stir until combined. Cover with plastic wrap; set aside for 45 minutes or until dough doubles in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Brush an 8 inch round cake pan with butter and line the base and side with baking paper. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Use a rolling pin to roll an 11×16 inch rectangle. Brush with one-third of the butter; sprinkle with one-third of the sugar and chocolate. Fold a short side of dough over two-thirds of the filling. Fold remaining one-third over the top to enclose filling. Roll the dough out to an 11×16 inch rectangle. Brush with half the remaining butter; top with half the remaining sugar and chocolate.
- Repeat folding and rolling. Repeat filling with remaining butter, sugar and chocolate; drizzle with half the golden syrup. Roll up dough from a long side to enclose filling. Cut crossway into 8 pieces. Arrange, cut-side up, in prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap; set aside for 15 minutes to rise.
- Drizzle over remaining golden syrup. Bake in oven for 5 minutes. Reduce oven to 350° and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Set aside for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe by Sarah Hobbs and photo by Ian Wallace.